Friday, October 18, 2013

Mixed Media Portrait Collage

Here are just a few of the fabulous artworks my Drawing 1 class made for a mixed media project.  I usually do the typical self-portrait halfway through the term...just to introduce basic proportions and then we move on.  This time I needed a change.  Drawing is a class I have taught probably close to 30 times.  The projects in Drawing 1 are pretty much the same...we follow Betty Edwards book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain".  It provides a great introduction to beginning drawing students.  BUT, I need some variation!  So, I took a basic project and ran with it and the kids loved it!  I showed them a few different image transfer techniques, brought in stencils, gave them acess to spray paint, and showed them how to build layers.  Every single student was totally into the project.  They spent more than two weeks on it!  That never happens in Drawing 1.  Below are some of the finished pieces:
 
Melinda K.

 
Top Left: Jacob R. Top Right: Rian T.
Middle Right: Melinda K. Bottom: Melanie F.D.
 

The top right image is a detail example of an image transfer process that was really slick.  The students started with a drawing, I scanned it, then printed the drawings out on a laser printer.  We used Xylol to transfer the images to the backgrounds.  In a future post, I will detail this process in a tutorial.