Students in Design in Art were asked to manipulate text to create a unique design in which the original letters become unrecognizable. They used Illustrator and expanded the text objects in order to manipulate the text. I think the results speak for themselves!
Monday, November 18, 2013
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Today, I introduced the Drawing 1 students to the messy, but forgiving, medium of charcoal. I have this gigantic, white ball (on the right side of the image) that we use for shading. This is the third time the students have had to draw this ball. They first drew it when we started shading in graphite and then again when they learned about shading with ink. They love the ball. Kidding. Mostly I get 'the ball...again?'. Yep. Again. I started the way I always start. Students get their own tin (once upon a time in Photography, I use to get 100ft rolls of film and roll film for students...it was awful, but the tins are great for drawing material storage), I hand out vine charcoal, compressed charcoal, a pink eraser, a kneaded eraser, a blending stump, and tissue for blending. We discuss the materials and how they are used. I start by showing them how to tone the paper, sketch with the vine charcoal, and then eventually use the compressed charcoal to add value. I did something a little different today. When the students thought they were finished, I had them hang their drawings on the wall and step back. By stepping back, students are able to easily see areas that need more attention. I talked with each student individually about what they still need to work on. Students even gave each other feedback about areas to work on. Most students knew exactly what they needed to work on as soon as they saw the drawing hanging on the wall. Students then took the drawings and continued to work on them a little more, trying to perfect the drawing as much as they could. It was a little chaotic, but it was awesome formative assessment. This is a one day project and tomorrow students will start a white object still life in charcoal.
Friday, November 8, 2013
Students are hard at work perfecting their drawings. They use Photoshop to edit the hand-drawn comics. Students can add color, create text, outline the panels, and clean-up all the extra marks. The University of Iowa has a great collection of Graphic Novels and comics. I came up with the idea for this project after attending a summer workshop at the university with Rachel Williams. She is incredibly knowledgable and teaches various workshops and classes on the subject. If you are in the area, I would strongly suggest taking a workshop with her! The university also does K-12 classroom visits and one of the topics they present on is Graphic Novel and Comic Art. It makes a great starting point for a lesson on comics.
Thursday, November 7, 2013
This morning, when I opened my email, I was greeted with some amazing news! The Collaborative Design Studio is being funded and headed to Room 241 at Washington High School. My classroom is going to be equipped with a classroom set of Mac Book Airs and Wacom drawing tablets. This means even in my most traditional courses, like Drawing, students will be able to experience the technology that is used by professionals. A collaborative element will be added to all of my courses to encourage creative teamwork. The end goal is to increase student learning and program numbers by engaging students through the use of these technologies. I can't tell you how excited I am about the future of our art program!